Amateurs Take Control of Online Entertainment

While I'm not necessarily interested in re-mixing the movie trailer of "Top Gun" into "Brokeback Gun" (although that could be funny - have you seen "Brokeback To The Future"? Very funny stuff at YouTube) - I am interested in the ever-growing online community's appetite for video content. With places like YouTube and Google Video among others, the sheer number of folks out there watching stuff is honestly unbelievable.

At the IndieWire blog I found a good article, here are a few excerpts that caught my eye...

YouTube serves 30 million videos a day. Three-thousand files are uploaded daily. They have 5 million unique users per day, and, according to Nielsen/NetRatings, they had 9 million unique users for the month of February.

Is that not crazy? Can you imagine the exposure for content on YouTube? Evidently Dimension Films has...

...Dimension Films have begun to upload trailers and commercials. Currently, Scary Movie 4's trailer has been seen 369,142 times in the three days since it's been up, so it appears that the Weinstein Co. is reaching its target audience.

I've been playing with the idea of posting the "Killing Down" trailer on YouTube and after reading this I'm thinking, why not?

Read the entire article by Jerry Weinstein, it's definitely interesting.

-Blake


2 comments to "Amateurs Take Control of Online Entertainment"

Who Am I?

I'm a filmmaker who's produced & directed five feature films including the comedy SPILT MILK (available on iTunes), the new horror/thriller PHOBIA (on iTunes) and the action/thiller KILLING DOWN (which you can buy or rent at pretty much all the usual places).

I also created the Streamy and Webby award-winning web series PINK, which to date has been viewed online around 10 MILLION times at places like YouTube, Hulu, Koldcast and TheWB.com. And speaking of TheWB.com, I also produced and directed an online thriller for them called EXPOSED. It was released summer 2010. And most recently I created a new online sci-fi series called CONTINUUM, which is part of the online indie TV network JTS.tv - Just The Story and NOW available via VOD through indie platform Distrify.

Oh, and I don't shoot weddings. Thanks for asking though.

Blog Archive

Web hosting for webmasters
Site Meter