MySpace

I know several filmmakers, actors, etc. participating in the "MySpace Revolution". For instance, Frank Ford and Shane Estep have a MySpace page, and so do the guys in Four Day Weekend (which Frank is a member of).

But, I'm just not sure I get it from a filmmaker's POV? I understand the music angle completely - being able to listen to and download songs from unknown artists, etc. is easy and makes sense. But, promoting a feature film or short film is a little different to me. Maybe it's not though?

I've considered creating a MySpace page for "Killing Down" and my previous feature "Hit". One thing I've noticed is the Hollywood films that do this often include (and market) the soundtrack of the film - which in turn of course markets the actual movie. I have no soundtrack (yet) for "Killing Down", although I do have a song or two I could upload and include. But for "Hit", I have a complete soundtrack (all composed by the great Paul Slavens - who by the way - has a MySpace page).

Another filmmaker and contributor to the Indies Features 06 blog posted a story from the LA Times about a guy who made the short "MySpace: The Movie" and has landed a development deal with MTV from it. Pretty interesting and exciting for that kid.

Eric too points out that he doesn't completely understand the whole MySpace thing...

"(it being) ...a bunch of kids flipping each other off and commenting about how much their lives suck."

I couldn't agree more. That's what it looks like to me too. But, I guess these kids then talk about all the songs (and movies I assume) thus creating a buzz or at least more visibility for the material.

I commented on Eric's entry that perhaps one reason I don't get the whole MySpace phenomenon is that I was a teenager in the 1980's. :)

I think I'm going to go and relive my youth right now and create a MySpace page of my own.

-Blake


0 comments to "MySpace"

Who Am I?

I'm a filmmaker who's produced & directed five feature films including the comedy SPILT MILK (available on iTunes), the new horror/thriller PHOBIA (on iTunes) and the action/thiller KILLING DOWN (which you can buy or rent at pretty much all the usual places).

I also created the Streamy and Webby award-winning web series PINK, which to date has been viewed online around 10 MILLION times at places like YouTube, Hulu, Koldcast and TheWB.com. And speaking of TheWB.com, I also produced and directed an online thriller for them called EXPOSED. It was released summer 2010. And most recently I created a new online sci-fi series called CONTINUUM, which is part of the online indie TV network JTS.tv - Just The Story and NOW available via VOD through indie platform Distrify.

Oh, and I don't shoot weddings. Thanks for asking though.

Blog Archive

Web hosting for webmasters
Site Meter