Musings From Francis Ford Coppola

Take a moment to read the diary entries from Coppola on the website for his new film (first film he's done in NINE years)...

http://www.ywyfilm.com/

This takes you to the home page. From there click on "Diary" at the top of the page, and then you'll see his several entries.

Interestingly, this is not about the making of the film or really even about the film. It's about youth and how some artists never live up to the great work they did when they were young.

He mentions many folks, but he's obviously referring to himself too. He gets a pass though (for his later work) in my book when you have The Godfather, The Godfather II, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now on your resume. :)

One guy he doesn't mention that came to my mind is Orson Welles?

From his site:

I've been thinking about what seems to be a repeating pattern: artists who distinguish themselves when they are young, and then never can quite reach those levels again. There are many examples, especially in literature, the theater, and of course in film.

...I've begun to think that the only sensible way to deal with this dilemma is to become young again, to forget everything I know and try to have the mind of a student. To re-invent myself by forgetting I ever had any film career at all, and instead to dream about having one.

Go ahead, click the link above and read the entire thing. It's good.

-Blake


0 comments to "Musings From Francis Ford Coppola"

Who Am I?

I'm a filmmaker who's produced & directed five feature films including the comedy SPILT MILK (available on iTunes), the new horror/thriller PHOBIA (on iTunes) and the action/thiller KILLING DOWN (which you can buy or rent at pretty much all the usual places).

I also created the Streamy and Webby award-winning web series PINK, which to date has been viewed online around 10 MILLION times at places like YouTube, Hulu, Koldcast and TheWB.com. And speaking of TheWB.com, I also produced and directed an online thriller for them called EXPOSED. It was released summer 2010. And most recently I created a new online sci-fi series called CONTINUUM, which is part of the online indie TV network JTS.tv - Just The Story and NOW available via VOD through indie platform Distrify.

Oh, and I don't shoot weddings. Thanks for asking though.

Blog Archive

Web hosting for webmasters
Site Meter